The biggest challenge a woman has when I ask them how much they cook is TIME. No one has time. For this, that, themselves, and creating nutritious meals for their family. I tell my clients that the KEY to health is cooking more. Knowing your ingredients. Being responsible for what you put into your body along with your family’s. Michael Pollan http://www.michaelpollan.com talks about this in his most recent book, “Cooked”, and has so many resources on the importance of the family table. The connection to your family, that mental space you need to create, is just as important as the food you put on the table. Talking. Opening yourself to your children and what may be going on with them. Looking at your partner and smiling with no distractions. Enjoying the tastes, textures, colors of what is on your plates.
So do you have 15 minutes? Feel organic is too expensive? Well, those excuses are not only used way too much but aren’t true. We do have the time, we have to carve it out and realign our priorities. 15 minutes to cook or 15 minutes looking at your phone? A $5.50 latte or $3.99 organic blueberries? Another pair of black boots at $250 or does your grocery bill go organic and slightly increase? It’s all about shifting in life. Acknowledging and respecting what is most important.
Down below is a SUPER easy recipe of the photo above that is A) organic, B) Under $15, and C) 15 minutes. Try making it tonight! (It’s great for leftovers to take to lunch the next day)
A 15-Minute All-Organic Meal Under $15
Chickpea Cakes Over Mixed Greens
What you need and what to do:
- 2 cans (15 oz each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained. Put in a food processor. ($1.98)
- 4 T whole wheat flour or alternative flour ($.20)
- ½ tsp each of ground cumin, salt, and pepper ($.28)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped ($.29)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten. Pulse until combined. Form 16 patties and roll in additional flour ($.68)
- Heat 2 T olive oil in a skillet over medium-high and cook patties, in batches, until golden, 2-3 minutes per side (4.39)
- Divide 2 cups of mixed greens (such as chopped kale, spinach, and Swiss chard) into 4 blowls and top with 4 patties per bowl ($3.84)
- Total= $7.66
(Courtesy of Prevention Magazine, March 2017 issue)